Friday, January 15, 2010

What's left on campus for backdrops

Here, I have the formal three point lighting setup. 60 inch diffused key light on camera right. 43 inch umbrella fill light on camera left. Bare light above subject for hair light. The key was on 1/1 (full) power and the fill was on 1/4. The entire shoot was done at 1/250th, f8, and ISO 160.
I discovered during post process that f8, the aperture I used for the entire shoot, was causing the image to go dark; I bumped up the exposure a bit in Photoshop's raw viewer- a simple task as the software can batch adjust many images in real time. In photos prior to this image, the exposure was where I wanted it; what had additionally caused the photo to go dark was the increased distance between my key light and subject. In this particular image, the key light was about 4 feet away from the subject; before, I had the key at a very close 2 feet of distance. Note that the hair light did not accommodate the tree well so I left that light out.
Key light on camera left, still at full power. The reason I wanted to stick at f8 was because I wanted to darken up the ambient lighting. With the help of cloudy skies, the f8 and 1/250th combination can underexpose the ambient lighting just enough to bring out the lit subject more. Remember not to trust your LCD screen when checking for exposure, read and understand your histogram instead.

Entire shoot gallery.
I have mental notes on improving subject posing in all of these. Talk to me in person if you wish to learn more about the posing aspect.

No comments: