Wednesday, February 4, 2009

A sighting & Pop Talk Thursday

Just an observation outside of campus. Yeah, I spied for like 10 minutes from indoors looking out the window. I saw a lady photographer taking a corporate portraiture of a businessman by the outdoor water fountain beside the Richardson Public Library. Some equipment I saw, though I wished I grabbed my camera to spy. A triangle reflector some 60 inches high clamped to a light stand. A monolight? triggered by a cubish receiver, maybe pocket wizard. No power pack or electrical cords mounted to a wall so it seems all battery powered. Don't know what camera but it was on a tripod.
I noticed too that she demonstrated posing to the model by posing herself. Didn't catch audio. I think it's almost a secret how photographers communicate with models. No books or online articles showing this but a couple of videos do such as one in the Strobist DVDs. (The film lets run an entire photo shoot so you hear dialogue)
Seems the best way to get the inside scoop on photographer-model communication is to join us on our shoots on campus. Observe how we do things, impossible to be shown in tutorials or books.

Pop talk, I'll bring my gear Thursday from 3PM to 4PM and anyone is welcome to come and ask questions how we do things with our shoot. Will meet at the Patio at SU.
Pop...as in popping flashes.

No comments: